24 athletes with intellectual disabilities from Romania will attend the Special Olympics World Winter Games, in Kazan, Rusia, 2022 (22 - 28 January)
24 Special Olympics Romania athletes prepare to attend the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Kazan, Russia between 22 – 28 January 2022, an event which is the equivalent of Olympics for professional athletes.
The Romanian delegation will consist in 24 athletes competing in 5 different disciplines, as follows:
- 10 athletes in alpine skiing
- 4 athletes in cross - country skiing
- 4 in snowshoeing
- 2 in figure skating
- 4 in speed skating.
By attending the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Kazan, Russia, the 24 Romanian athletes with intellectual disabilities will develop their physical, emotional abilities as well as their resistance to the various challenges specific for a high level competition. At the same time, their participation in this event may serve as trigger for progress in other areas: “My daughter started making progress with her speaking only after winning several medals in sports competitions held by Special Olympics”, as the mother of a Special champion confessed.
The Special Olympics World Winter Games in Kazan, 2022 will gather over 2.000 athletes with intellectual disabilities across the world, to promote an inclusive and sustainable society, in a location with strong traditions in organizing international competitions.
The impact of Special Olympics World Games on participating athletes is a long term one, promoting values such as diversity, tolerance, social inclusion and the positive role of sports in the lives of people with intellectual disabilities and not only.
At the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Austria 2017, Romanian Special Olympics athletes won 21 medals, out of which 4 gold medals.
Special Olympics International promotes the fight against discriminating people with intellectual disabilities, organizing over 100,000 sports competitions worldwide. Due to the pandemic situation generated by COVID19, many athletes did not go out on the sports field any longer, living in isolation, away from the energy and enthusiasm of sports competitions.
We want to give them the chance to train again, to compete, to train and to enjoy their successes and enthusiasm!
Join #TeamSpecialOlympics and contribute to the return of Special Olympics Romania team to competitions!
Get involved and support the Special Olympics Athletes team to return on the sports field, to participate with dignity in international competitions, and win medals for Romania!
Special Olympics athletes from Romania need support to be able to participate in the Special Olympics World Winter Games Kazan, as well as to train accordingly to attend this international high level competition. With the funds raised, they can dream about overcoming their own limits and winning many medals.
Join the Special Olympics Romania Team and support 24 young athletes with intellectual disabilities to overcome their limits! What can be more rewarding than the feeling you did a good deed and that you contributed to changing for the better the life of an intelectually disabled young person?
Special Olympics athletes represent a model for other young people that intend to start doing sports. Their success is an example for everyone, with or without disabilities!
How can you support us?
- Join #SpecialOlympicsTeam and run for Special Olympics athletes at Raiffesein Bank Bucharest Marathon, 30 – 31 October 2021 (in person event)/ 30 October – 15 November 2021 (Virtual Run) (https://www.njuko.net/bucharest42km/select_competition)!
- Select Special Olympics Romania as „Cause I support” from the Registration Form in order to redirect a percentage from the participation tax to Special Olympics cause!
- Get a Galantom profile (http://www.galantom.ro/) and help special athletes to continue their trainings and to get to the podium of the Special Olympics World Winter Games Kazan, 2022!
- Be the good change into the society! Contribute to special athletes inclusion and ask your friends to run alongside #TeamSpecialOlympics and be part of the #InclusionRevolution!
How do we support you?
- Being proud of you wearing Special Olympics T-shirt!
- Special Olympics athletes will be supporting you as they will be running themselves at the Marathon race.
- We will give you the opportunity to become a Partner of a Special athlete (by running together) and you will learn that you will experience unconditional joy alongside the Special Olympics athletes!
If you want to support us or to become a fundraiser for us or you just have a suggestion, please send your message directly to the following address: a.nicolescu @specialolympics.ro .
See you at the Start line!